Saturday, June 23, 2012

Mom's Day #1

As a teacher, I treasure these summer months and being able to spend time with my two sons.  As each year goes by I see our time together changing, less of "us" and more of "friends."  While I realize this is normal and natural and the way it's supposed to go it still takes some getting used to.  I used to be the ringleader, the organizer, the one deciding how we spend these precious minutes.  Now I'm a bystander, and plans are presented to me and in a moment's notice they're out the door (minus the mom).

With two tween/teen boys it's getting more challenging to find activities that we all will enjoy.  At this point, I don't care if we're all going to enjoy it, we're doing it anyway.  I am calling these Mom's Days.  We had our first Mom's Day today and went to a Fossil Museum about 40 minutes from our house.  Neither boy is actually that interested in fossils or dinosaurs.  (Although Jimmy did have a dinosaur party when he was 3.  I think that counts.) 
Don't they look excited?  How about that body language?

Getting out the door is easy.  I no longer have to pack bags and snacks and make sure everyone has gone to the bathroom.  I don't tie shoes or fasten sandals.  A simple, "I'll be in the car, someone put the dog in his cage" and we're off.

The car ride is quiet.  No more babbling, fighting, crying.  A couple of IPods and we're good to go.  But even with all these differences I felt so good.  I felt full, happy, content.  It felt so perfect to be with my boys, headed on the highway, like we used to do so frequently.  I guess it's true that the less you do of something the more you cherish it. 

The trip was a success.  Both boys were able to explain some new facts to their father during dinner.  Although while we were talking about it Jimmy said, "Really, when was that mentioned?  I must have dozed off during that part."

We finished up the morning with lunch at Jimmy John's. 
Here's to many more Mom's Days!  I'll keep you posted.  (Get it?)

No comments:

Post a Comment